Day 5 of the 7-Day Roguelike Challenge has completed now and I’ve finally got smooth vehicle movement in my Auto RL. I put some time into an improved UI that hopefully starts to convey the concept of “you get more actions when you go fast”. With this is the implementation of Grip, which drains from manuevers at high speeds so you can lose control It has hints of greatness but is hard to deliver satisfyingly on a grid in 7 days.
My remaining work on weapon pickups and types, some improved world generation and a weapon pickup inventory, and hopefully an opponent you’re stalking (I’m starting to regret throwing out my boss code from last year!)
Since I don’t have time for you to get out of the car and salvage, you just run over the equipment and I’ll prompt you to choose which of the four weapons you want to replace (or discard it).
My one regret is spending as much time as I did on the basic sprites on Sunday. Last year I was reasonably good about keeping the scale of Oryx’s sprites so that 24×24 was a standard tile, but this year I had to bring in graphics from a number of sources that varied from 16×16 to a car I found that was some weird rez like 56×108. Plus, I reduced the size of Oryx’s character sprites which implies a resolution of 32×32. In a way it probably would have been better in this case to stay representational and not cobble together a vague swipe at pretty, but it inspires me to work in an environment with visual flavor.
Check it out below… I apologize for the atrocious 20-minute sound hookup. 2 days left, wish me luck!