It’s been a few weeks since the SIX update, and there’s a lot of meaty gameplay work to show off. Ammo! Maneuvers! Slo mo visuals! Better ramming!
- One of the biggest issues of having a turn-based game with realtime visuals is that a lot of the time people don’t grok that the game is waiting for their next input.
- As a way to get around this, I added a slowdown when the game is waiting for player input.
- As a delightful side effect, it looks pretty damn cool.
- Had to move a number of UI inputs to use unscaled time so it ignores slomo. I might have missed a few, so will be on the lookout.
- Made a bunch of UI effects use unscaled time so they play at a normal rate even during slowmo.
- Fixed camera and a bunch of other elements that slowed down inappropriately during slowmo
- Special maneuvers appear as “equipment” (currently occupying gadget slot 3), but are eventually going to be baked into specific vehicle chassis, which allow you to take special actions in a crisis.
- This means that different vehicles will help with different playstyles.
- The first special maneuver is the Ram Piston
- This maneuver launches the car forward 2-4 tiles within a set arc and rams an enemy out of the way.
- You can also use it to get out of a jam by launching to an empty tile.
- It has a cooldown and also uses gas as its ammo, which you can find out in the field or purchase at a garage.
Resources as Ammo
- Players have always been able to collect gas, ordnance and parts around the battlefield. These items are now used as ammunition for some weapons and equipment.
- Mines and rockets use ordnance
- Ram piston, flamers and flaming oil takes gas.
- Many weapons do not require ammo (just a cooldown), so ammo-consuming equipment will be stronger for its limitation.
- When you highlight a weapon, it should explicitly say the ammo it uses, if any.
- If you’re out of ammo, hopefully it will be very easy to see and understand.
- There is a dry-fire sound when out of ammo.
- All game hints are now moved to middle-screen and important information such as being out of ammo also appears in that space as needed.
- Now that ordnance and gas are much more needed by players, I added significantly more drops of them to the loot lists.
- Loot dropped from cars and crates now has a new definition type, so every drop won’t have 5-6 items in them (it was just out of control)
- Ramming something at a high enough speed will now knock it to the side rather than stop you dead. It’s far more fun.
- The mass of an opponent or object now matters more. Your speed and your mass is factored against their mass.
- NOTE: More will happen with this in the future, since relative speed and resultant velocity aren’t all factored as they should.
Additional Targeting Changes
- Area-effect weapons such as rockets, shotguns and flamers can now be aimed at the ground if you want to position their blast for maximum effect.
- Some weapons and abilities now have a minimum range.
- Rockets have a min range of 2.
- Multifire rockets have a min range of 3.
- Updated the position of resources in the HUD.
- Revised frames in HUD to use a superthin frame.
- Updated skid meter and needle, and repositioned turn pips.
- Boost hint only appears when at max safe speed now.
- Cleaned up the UI camera for inventory and garage. It’s not blurry anymore.
- Fixed broken portrait from game startup.
- Revised the collision sound (hated the old one).
- Added a new wood break and revised rock break sounds.
- Edited the speed lines for movement and ram tile with a new graphic.
- Fixed some rare crashes